Chicken Soup with Carrots, Potatoes, and Dumplings
Make a simple chicken soup with carrots and potatoes. While the soup simmers, make dumplings, drop spoonfuls of dumpling dough into soup and simmer a little longer. Serve with fresh parsley.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen diced carrots
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- In large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and carrot; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, water, and potatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine water, milk, and butter and bring to a full boil over high. Add flour and salt all at once. Cook and stir mixture forms a ball and cleans side of pan. Remove from heat and add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Drop dumpling batter by spoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until dumplings are puffed and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.