Chicken Soup with Tortilla
This flavorful soup is similar to one you would be served at an authentic Mexican restaurant.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup canned tomatoes
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. safflower oil, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 gluten-free hard tortilla shells or crunchy corn tortilla strips, crushed
- ¼ avocado, diced
- ½ oz. queso fresco, crumbled
- 2½ Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- In a blender or food processor, combine tomatoes and garlic powder and process until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomato mixture, coriander, cumin, and oregano. Cook about 6–7 minutes or until mixture becomes thickened; stir often.
- Set a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add tomato mixture, stock, and chili powder. Partially cover pan and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, salt, and pepper and simmer 20–25 minutes longer. Chicken should be slightly opaque.
- Ladle soup into 2 bowls. Top each serving with crushed taco shells and cheese, and sprinkle with lime juice and cilantro. Serve immediately.