Chicken Soup with Tortilla
This flavorful soup is similar to one you would be served at an authentic Mexican restaurant.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomatoes
- 1⁄8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. safflower oil, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 tsp. chili powder
- 1⁄4 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 gluten-free hard tortilla shells or crunchy corn tortilla strips, crushed
- 1⁄4 avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 1⁄2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- In a blender or food processor, combine tomatoes and garlic powder and process until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomato mixture, coriander, cumin, and oregano. Cook about 6 to 7 minutes or until mixture becomes thickened; stir often.
- Set a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add tomato mixture, stock, and chili powder. Partially cover pan and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, salt, and pepper and simmer 20 to 25 minutes longer. Chicken should be slightly opaque.
- Ladle soup into 2 bowls. Top each serving with crushed taco shells and cheese, and sprinkle with lime juice and cilantro. Serve immediately.