Chicken Tagine with Black Olives
This tantalizing one-pot meal is bursting with spices, fresh herbs, and Moroccan flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- Add the oil to a large, deep pan over medium-high heat; set lid aside. Add the onion to the hot oil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, spices, black and cayenne peppers, and salt as desired. Cook, continuously stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato, artichoke hearts, and water, and bring to a boil.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt. Place the chicken in the sauce, turn down the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer. Cook for 35 minutes. Add the olives and continue cooking for 10 more minutes.