Chicken Tagine with Black Olives
This tantalizing one-pot meal is bursting with spices, fresh herbs, and Moroccan flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, drained
- ½ cup water
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- Add the oil to a large, deep pan over medium-high heat; set lid aside. Add the onion to the hot oil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4–5 minutes. Add the garlic, spices, black and cayenne peppers, and salt as desired. Cook, continuously stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato, artichoke hearts, and water, and bring to a boil.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt. Place the chicken in the sauce, turn down the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer. Cook for 35 minutes. Add the olives and continue cooking for 10 more minutes.