Chicken Tenders “Katzu” Style
A crispy cutlet breaded with Japanese bread crumbs. Seek out these bread crumbs, as they are integral to the dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenders
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten with 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs (also called “Japanese bread crumbs”)
- Peanut oil, for frying
- ½ cup store-bought barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup A1 Steak Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. grated fresh gingerroot
- ¼ cup finely minced scallions
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and dust in flour. Shake off excess flour. Dip the chicken in the egg, then coat in the bread crumbs.
- Heat the peanut oil to 350°F in a heavy skillet. Fry the chicken for about 5 minutes per side, until it reaches 165°F. Transfer the chicken to paper towels to drain, and blot off excess grease.
- Mix together the barbecue sauce, A1, soy sauce, and ginger. Serve the sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle with the scallions to garnish.