This is a French-inspired recipe made in Northern Italy. It is similar to the French dish, chicken galantine.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 whole chicken (3 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 lb. bulk sausage
- 1⁄4 cup pimentos
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Using a sharp knife, carefully remove the entire chicken skin, starting with the back of the chicken. (Try to keep the chicken skin in 1 large piece.) Line a loaf pan with the chicken skin, leaving excess skin hanging over one side.
- Carefully remove both breasts from the bone and chop. Debone the rest of the chicken and chop the dark meat.
- Mix together the chopped meat, sausage, pimentos, and egg white.
- Sprinkle with black pepper. Fold the skin over the top and tuck skin into the pan around the sides.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and uncover. Carefully drain off grease. Press down the mixture again and return to the oven. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool thoroughly. Slice and serve at room temperature or reheat as desired.