Chicken Thighs with Avocado Citrus Salad
In this simple, yet flavorful dish, chicken thighs are started in a cast iron skillet, finished in the oven for optimal crispness, then paired with a light avocado-citrus salad.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, cut into ¼” rounds and quartered
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into ¼” rounds
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Season chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In 12” cast iron skillet over high heat, add vegetable oil. Cook chicken, skin side down, 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook about 12 minutes, while occasionally rotating chicken until golden brown.
- Transfer skillet to oven. Bake 15 minutes. Flip chicken; continue cooking 3-5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine grapefruit, orange, avocado, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Serve citrus salad over chicken thighs.