Chicken Tortilla Soup
It’s really easy to fry strips of fresh corn tortillas for this recipe, but you can use purchased tortilla chips in a pinch. This is a very flavorful soup that the whole family will enjoy.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced mild green chilies
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced or thinly sliced
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen whole-kernel corn (thawed if frozen)
- 1½ cups diced cooked chicken
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 3 corn (6") tortillas, cut into ½"-wide strips
- ½ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese or a Mexican cheese blend
- In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, combine chicken broth, lime juice, tomatoes, jalapeño, green chilies, cilantro, green onions, carrot, and corn. Cook over medium heat for 40 minutes. Add diced chicken and cook for 5 minutes longer. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a deep skillet or saucepan, heat about 1" of vegetable oil to 360ºF. Add tortilla strips to hot oil in small batches, frying for just a few seconds until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, top each bowl of soup with a several crisp tortilla strips and a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Serve remaining tortilla strips on the side.