Chicken Wild Rice Chowder
Chunks of chicken, mushrooms, corn, and rice simmered in broth and then combined with a creamy Alfredo and Swiss cheese sauce make this soup a crowd pleaser.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (3 oz. each), cut into small cubes
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 package (8 oz.) mushrooms, trimmed and chopped
- 1½ cups wild rice
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) corn, drained
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 jar (16 oz.) four-cheese Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Toss chicken with flour, salt, pepper, and thyme. Melt butter in large soup pot; add chicken thighs. Brown on all sides, about 5–6 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add onion and mushrooms to pot; cook and stir to loosen pan drippings. Return chicken to skillet along with wild rice, chicken broth, corn, 1 teaspoon of chopped parsley, and water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 35–45 minutes until rice is tender and chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir in Alfredo sauce and bring to a simmer again. Then add cheese. Stir over low heat until cheese melts and soup is slightly thickened. Serve with a sprig of parsley in each bowl and crusty bread.