Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
This classic French dish is easy when prepared in the slow cooker. Don’t be afraid of using this much garlic, it mellows when cooked.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole chicken (4 lbs.), cut into eighths and most of skin removed
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 40 garlic cloves (about 4 garlic bulbs), peeled
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken for about 4–5 minutes each side.
- Transfer the chicken to a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour the wine over the chicken. Sprinkle with the black pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Scatter the garlic cloves around the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 3–4 hours on low or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife.