Chicken with Mushroom Cognac Cream Sauce
This is an elegant dish that's easy to fix. To make it even easier, use sliced mushrooms from the produce section or salad bar.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 bone-in chicken legs
- 2 bone-in chicken thighs
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ⅛ cup minced shallots
- 1 lb. morel mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. cognac
- ½ cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook about 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the shallots and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté until lightly browned, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth and cognac and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the cream in a slow stream, stirring constantly to incorporate.
- Add the parsley and chicken, along with any accumulated juices. Bring to a low simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.