Chicken with Rice
This is a basic meal made in one pot from a cut-up chicken and uncooked rice, simmered together with aromatic vegetables and chicken broth. A variety of ingredients can be added, such as sausage or seafood, which will make it resemble jambalaya or paella.
Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 55 minutes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 3 cups white long-grain rice, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ cup chopped scallions
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Over medium-high heat, brown chicken in oil in a large pot. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, and turmeric to the pot, and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add rice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth, browned chicken, and bay leaves. Stir to combine, bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, and cover pot with a lid.
- Simmer 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Remove bay leaves. Top with scallions and season with salt and pepper.