Chicken with Tomatillo Barbecue Sauce
Fruity tomatillos make an incredibly bright base for this sweet and spicy barbecue sauce.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz. each)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 8 medium tomatillos, husked and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cayenne pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken in a 9-by-9-inch baking dish, and season with half the salt and pepper. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the chicken registers 165°F with a meat thermometer.
- Process the tomatillos, onion, cilantro, cayenne pepper, and the remaining salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the vinegar and honey, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve chicken with sauce.