Chicken with Tomato-Mushroom Sauce
This hearty dish, made with chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, herbs, and garlic sauce, is sometimes called Hunter’s Chicken or Pollo alla Cacciatora.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 lbs. bone-in chicken, cut into serving pieces (breasts, thighs, wings, legs)
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 bulb garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 12 large plum tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, cut in half
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup red table wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy-bottomed pan. Brown the chicken pieces on all sides for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the onions, garlic, celery, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, bring to a boil, and cook until liquid is reduced by half the volume, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.