Use a vegetarian chicken-flavored broth instead of regular vegetable broth, or add vegetarian chicken-flavored bouillon to the broth, if you can find it.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. sage
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 6¾ cup vegetable broth, divided
- Combine the vital wheat gluten with the nutritional yeast, sage, thyme, and garlic and onion powder.
- Slowly add ¾ cup vegetable broth to the wheat gluten, mixing with your hands until all of the flour is combined. You’ll have one big rubbery ball of dough, and you may need a bit more or less than ¾ cup broth.
- Knead the dough a few times to get an even texture. Let dough rest for a few minutes, then knead again for a minute or 2. Divide dough into 3 (or more) pieces and stretch and press to about 1" thickness.
- Slowly simmer in 6 cups vegetable broth for 45 minutes–1 hour over low heat.