Chickpea and Brussels Sprouts Stuffed Acorn Squash
This cute dish is served inside of an acorn squash. Prepping it is easy…your oven does most of the work!
Serves: 2Prep: 15 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup small Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- With a knife, make 5-10 slits on the inside of each half of the squash. Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil over both sides of the squash. Season with salt and pepper. Place the squash, cut side down, in a small baking dish and pour ¼ cup of water in the bottom of the dish. Bake for 45 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, then add the Brussels sprouts. Sauté for 3-4 more minutes, until tender.
- Add the garlic, chickpeas and cumin. Set aside.
- Remove the squash from the oven and mash the insides with a fork. Add the Brussels sprouts stuffing to each half.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.