Chickpea and Celeriac Cassoulet
This cassoulet is the definition of comfort food. It’s filled with rich and savory flavors, and is topped with a crunchy and cheesy breadcrumb mixture.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in water to cover
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced celeriac
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Place in a medium saucepan and cover the chickpeas with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until softened, about 1 hour. Drain chickpeas.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and celeriac. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until softened, about 7 minutes. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Add broth and rosemary and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in chickpeas and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan together and spread over the top of the chickpea mixture. Top with butter. Bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.