Chickpea “Meatballs” with Rice
Where’s the beef? Not in these chickpea “meatballs!” Smothered in a homemade tomato salsa, they’re the perfect vegetarian accompaniment to rice, pasta and so much more.
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) Garbanzo Beans Chick-Peas, drained
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black ground pepper, divided
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
- 1 serrano pepper (optional)
- 4 cups rice, cooked
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking pan with parchment paper; brush with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- In food processor, combine chickpeas, breadcrumbs, 2 cloves garlic, ½ cup onion, egg, cilantro, cumin, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and ¾ teaspoon sea salt. Process until smooth.
- Brush hands with olive oil. Form mixture into 16 meatballs, about 1½” in diameter each; arrange on prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until firm and internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- In blender, combine diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, 1 clove garlic, ¼ cup onion, 1 tablespoon cilantro, ¼ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt and serrano pepper (if desired). Blend until smooth.
- In saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Cook tomato salsa 6 to 8 minutes, until salsa turns to deeper red color.
- To serve, arrange chickpea “meatballs” next to rice; top with tomato sauce.