Rather than buying frozen veggie burgers, why not make your own right at home? Besides tasting better, these have much less sodium and preservatives.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diceddiced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread
- 1 lb. chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- In a large skillet, sauté 1 teaspoon olive oil, mushrooms, onion, and garlic until soft and cooked through. Move from the skillet to a mixing bowl, and save skillet for cooking the completed patties.
- In a food processor, reduce the bread slices to fine crumbs and transfer to the mixing bowl. Add the chickpeas, remaining olive oil, and eggs to the food processor and blend well. Add chickpea mixture to the breadcrumb mixture. Add salt, pepper, cumin, and curry powder and bean mixture and thoroughly mix.
- Spray the skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Form the mix into patties and set into the preheated skillet. Cook for 5 minutes on each side until cooked through.