Chickpea and Quinoa Pilaf
This hearty pilaf can be served as a side dish to braised or stewed meats, or as a vegetarian course all its own.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9" × 9" casserole dish lightly with nonstick spray.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa and broth, then bring the mixture to a boil. Gently stir in the chickpeas and pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake the casserole, covered tightly with foil, until the quinoa is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir the parsley and scallions into the casserole just before serving.