Chickpeas in Tomato Sauce
This quick, delicious healthful dish can be thrown together in minutes using ingredients from the pantry.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. peanut or safflower oil
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they are fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the ginger, crushed red pepper, and onions; cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper and add the chickpeas; cook 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve hot.