These battered and fried chilies stuffed with cheese are a guaranteed favorite. To prep the chilies, simply blister them under the broiler for a few minutes on each side, then remove stems, seeds, and skin.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 12 Poblano chilies, charred and peeled
- 1 lb. mild Cheddar cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups canola oil
- Stuff each pepper with a strip of cheese. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, 1 cup flour, egg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well to make a batter.
- Fill a heavy frying pan with oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Spread 1⁄2 cup flour on a plate. When oil is hot, dust each stuffed chili in the flour, then dip in the egg batter. Gently drop chilies in oil, working in batches depending on the size of your frying pan.
- Fry chilies until lightly browned on both sides. Remove to a plate covered with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.