Chili & Sage Stuffed Butternut Squash
Hearty and full of flavor, this delicious holiday recipe is the perfect spicy complement to your Thanksgiving table!
Serves: 2Prep: 15 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 1⁄2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sage
- Heat oven to 400°F. Wash and cut butternut squash in half vertically and remove the seeds. Next, cut the top half of the butternut squash horizontally, leaving the pit of the squash still intact. Drizzle with oil and place on a baking sheet in the oven for 35 minutes until it becomes soft.
- While squash is roasting, chop onion, Brussels sprouts and walnuts, mixing together in a bowl with chili powder, lemon juice and sage. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pull squash out of the oven and remove the skin from the squash pieces that do not have the pit. This will be used to bind the stuffing together. Next, mix the pureed squash with the Brussels sprouts mixture and stuff into the pit of the remaining squash.
- Roast for 10 additional minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with turkey for a complete meal.