Chili con Carne
Feel free to adjust the seasonings to make this dish as spicy or as mild as you like.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 cups canned kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef. When the pink color is nearly gone and the ground beef is nearly cooked through, add the onion. Cook for another couple of minutes until the ground beef is fully cooked. Drain excess fat from the pan.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, garlic powder, oregano, and sugar. Add the kidney beans and crushed tomatoes. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer the chili on low heat for at least 30 minutes. Taste and add more seasonings if desired. Serve hot.