If your garden is overflowing with tomatoes, you can blanch, peel, and throw them into the recipe.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 3 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cans (28 oz.) low-sodium whole Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) unsalted tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 tsp. no-calorie sweetener such as Splenda
- 4 unpacked tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Mix all the ingredients in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer with the cover slightly cracked.
- Stirring occasionally, simmer for about 3 hours, or until the sauce is reduced by one-half. Cool, jar for storage, and refrigerate.