Chili with Meat for Canning
When you’re ready to serve this as a meal, add a can (16 oz.) pinto or kidney beans and heat thoroughly.
Makes: 6 quartsHands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 6 quarts
- 10 lbs. ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 quarts canned chopped tomatoes, with juice
- ½ cup chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 4 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. coarsely-ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, sauté ground beef, garlic, and chopped onions in olive oil until meat is browned. Drain excess fat; return to stockpot. Add remaining ingredients; simmer 20 minutes.
- Ladle into sterilized quart-sized jars, leaving 1" headspace. Wipe rims; cap and seal. Process in pressure-canner 1 hour and 30 minutes.