Chilled Soup (Thanda Shorba)
In the sweltering heat of summer, this soup, thanda shorba, has a wonderful cooling effect.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 cups water
- Table salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh mint for garnish
- Place the cucumber in a bowl and chill for about 30 minutes. Pour off the cucumber juice that collects in the bowl. Press down on the cucumber to get out as much juice as possible.
- Combine the cucumber and garlic, then stir in the yogurt and water. Combine thoroughly. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet on medium. Add the cumin seeds and sauté for about 1 minute or until the seeds start to crackle and you can smell the aroma. Remove from heat.
- Stir the cumin into the yogurt soup. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, pour equal portions into 6 shallow bowls and garnish with the mint.