Chilled Tomato Bisque
This is a wonderful summer soup that is best served chilled. It is a great accompaniment to grilled chicken and a salad.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¾ cup plain low-fat yogurt, divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, green onions, red pepper, garlic, stock, and sugar; bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a blender or a food processor, purée the soup until smooth. Strain the soup through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Stir in ¼ cup yogurt, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Serve in chilled bowls garnished with a dollop of remaining yogurt.