Chilled Zucchini Squash Soup with Basil
This soup is best served when very chilled. You can prepare the soup in advance up to the point where you purée the vegetables.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini squash
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the leeks until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the squash and sauté for another 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add the stock, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the squash is tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the zucchini to a food processor fitted with a metal blade or to a blender; process to a smooth purée, adding a few tablespoons of the hot stock if necessary. Transfer the soup to a bowl and refrigerate 2 hours.
- After the soup has been chilled, add the lemon juice, half-and-half, sour cream, chives, and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in chilled soup bowls.