Chinese Beef with Broccoli
Serve this restaurant favorite on a bed of white rice or cooked noodles.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. oyster sauce
- 3 tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. Xiaoshing wine
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 1⁄2 Tbsp. cornstarch, divided
- 3⁄4 lb. top round steak
- 3 tsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 8 broccoli stalks with flowerets
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 red onion, peeled and chopped
- Combine oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, Xiaoshing wine, soy sauce, sugar, and beef broth in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir together water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a small bowl and add do the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly to thicken mixture. Set aside.
- Cut the beef across the grain into thin strips about 2 inches long and place in a medium bowl. Add the rice wine, remaining cornstarch, and baking soda. Marinate the beef for 1 hour.
- Blanch the broccoli by plunging it into boiling water for about 3 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Separate the flowers and the stalks, and cut the stalks into spears along the diagonal.
- Add the oil to a preheated wok or skillet. When the oil is hot, velvet the beef by adding it to the hot oil just until it changes color, then quickly removing it from the wok. Drain the velveted beef on paper towels.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the wok. Add the garlic and stir-fry briefly until aromatic. Add the broccoli. Stir-fry for 1 minute and then add the red onion. Stir-fry the broccoli until it turns bright green and the red onion until it is soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Push the vegetables up to the sides and add the reserved sauce into the middle of the wok. Turn up the heat and bring the sauce to a boil, stirring vigorously to thicken. Add the beef back into the wok. Mix everything through and serve hot.