Chinese Indian Chili Chicken (Mirchi Wala Murgh)
This Indo-Chinese dish, mirchi wala murgh, packs a punch, so make sure you have something cold, creamy, and sweet nearby like a mango lassi.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 ½ Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 fresh serrano chilies, seeded and minced
- 1-2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- To make the marinade, combine the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, red chili powder, sugar, salt, green chilies, and red food coloring in a mixing bowl or resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 3 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on high. Add the marinated chicken pieces, shaking off any excess marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Stir-fry for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. You can add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water if the mixture starts to stick or dry out. Remove from heat. (Depending on the type of chicken you select, your cooking times might vary slightly.)
- To serve, place equal portions of the chicken on 4 appetizer plates. Serve hot.