Chinese Lemon Chicken
Make this popular Chinese restaurant dish at home and serve over brown rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz. each)
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, divided
- 6 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon peel, cut into 1⁄2-slices
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil
- In a large bowl, marinate chicken in soy sauce for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add water, vinegar, honey, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade and cut into strips. In a gallon-size plastic bag, add 1⁄3 cup cornstarch and chicken pieces and shake until chicken is well coated.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Fry chicken pieces until crispy, about 12 minutes. Remove from oil and place on paper towels.
- Serve with lemon sauce over top.