Chinese Soy Sauce Chicken
This tasty dish is delicious with a side of rice and steamed veggies.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. five-spice powder
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in cubes
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine
- 4 tsp. brown sugar
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 slice ginger, minced
- In a large bowl, mix the five-spice powder and the cornstarch. Add chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate chicken for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, water, rice wine, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. When oil reaches 325°F, deep-fry chicken pieces until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons oil from the wok. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry briefly until aromatic. Add the soy sauce mixture. Add the chicken, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.