Chinese-Style Beef and Scallions
Sliced beef with stir-fried with vegetables is a popular dish served in Chinese restaurants.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup plus 2 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce, water, and brown sugar. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Slice the steak against the grain into bite-size slices 1⁄4 inch thick. Dip the pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef to the oil and sauté for 4 minutes, or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges. Remove beef with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour the oil out of the wok and return it to the burner. Return beef to the wok and stir in reserved sauce. Heat over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve over cooked rice.