Chipotle and Green Chili Beef Stew
Hearty beef stew is comforting on a chilly day, and it’s even more so when it’s loaded with green chilies and chipotles.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 medium green chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 dried chipotle chili, chopped
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cubed
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups low-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 tsp. hot smoked paprika
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. arrowroot flour
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chipotle chili and chopped green chili and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove and reserve chipotle chili. Pat the beef dry, and season with salt and pepper. Add to the pan, and brown on both sides.
- Stir in the tomato paste, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, making sure to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom. Add in the reserved chipotle, paprika, carrots, celery, onion, and diced tomatoes. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the arrowroot flour together with the water in a small bowl. Stir the mixture into the stew, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the stew is thickened and silky.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately, or cool completely and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.