Chocolate Butter Truffles
This melt-in-your-mouth center is the simplest of all truffle fillings. Be sure to keep the centers very cold until they’re dipped.
Serves: 60Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ lb. high quality dark chocolate
- ½ lb. high quality milk chocolate
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter
- 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- Combine cream, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Finely chop dark and milk chocolate. Remove cream mixture from heat and stir in chopped chocolate. Stir resulting ganache until melted and smooth.
- Pour chocolate ganache into a glass mixing bowl and allow to cool. Cream butter. Whisk into chocolate ganache a spoonful at a time until mixture is creamy and well-blended.
- Spoon small dollops of mixture onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Or, place mixture in a pastry bag and pipe balls of ganache onto the sheet. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until centers have hardened.
- Chop bittersweet chocolate into small pieces. Combine with cream in a saucepan. Over low heat, melt chocolate into cream. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth and thick.
- Using a wooden skewer, dip the centers into melted chocolate to coat. Allow excess chocolate to drip off, then roll truffle in the cocoa powder and set on wax paper-lined baking sheet to set. Keep truffles cool until ready to serve.