Chocolate Buttermilk Bars
Chocolate and cinnamon are a classic Mexican flavor combination. These layered bars are delicious served with any flavored tea or coffee.
Serves: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup plus ¼ cup cocoa powder, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, softened butter, and pecans and mix until crumbly. Press 2 cups of this mixture into a 13" x 9" pan and set aside.
- To remaining crumbs in bowl, add baking soda, cinnamon, salt, buttermilk, ⅓ cup cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon vanilla, almond extract, and egg. Beat well. Pour over crust in pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20–25 minutes until bars are set and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Set pan on wire rack.
- In medium bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, ¼ cup cocoa powder, melted butter, milk, and ½ teaspoon vanilla and mix thoroughly. Pour over warm bars and spread to cover. Let cool, then cut into bars.