Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
This chocolate cake is a classic three-layer cake that can be served with a glass of milk, whipped cream, or ice cream. If you don’t want to make a fancy layer cake you can bake this cake in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, frost it, and cut it into squares.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 7 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 16 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups unsalted softened butter, divided
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Add chocolate chips, baking chocolate, and 3⁄4 cup water to a metal or glass bowl. Set the bowl over simmering water. Stir occasionally to combine chocolate with the water as it melts. Cut 1 1⁄4 cups butter into chunks and stir it into the chocolate mixture.
- When chocolate and butter have melted, remove the bowl from the simmering water and whisk the frosting to combine. It will be melted and liquid at this point. Set the bowl in a cool place (not the refrigerator) to set. Stir the frosting occasionally while it is cooling to achieve a smooth, creamy consistency. This will take at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter and flour 3 round cake pans (9-inches).
- Combine cocoa powder with 2 cups hot water and cocoa powder; set aside to let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla together for 5 minutes with an electric mixer. In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the cocoa mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set pans on rack for 10 minutes, then turn layers out onto racks. Cool on racks for 20 minutes.
- When completely cool, frost tops of two cake layers with chocolate frosting; stack them; put third layer on top. Spread frosting on the top and sides of the layer cake.