Chocolate Cherry Almond Cake Roll
Rich mascarpone filling flavored with cherries and almonds is a perfect partner for the light, chocolatey sponge cake. Glossy ganache is the crowning glory.
Serves: 10Prep: 40 minutesCook: 1 hour 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Hard
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup Kroger® Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 container (8 oz.) mascarpone
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup plus ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kroger® Pure Almond Extract
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup candied red cherries, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease a 15"x10"x1" baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and grease parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in ¼ cup of the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed 5 minutes or until pale yellow and thick. Gradually beat in remaining ½ cup sugar, vanilla and sour cream. Add mixed dry ingredients and beat on low speed until combined; beat on medium speed until creamy.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites until blended. Spread evenly in baking pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until center springs back when tapped.
- Let cool 2 minutes. Run knife around edges to loosen. Lay clean thin kitchen towel on work surface; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- Turn cake out onto towel. Remove parchment. Spray another piece of parchment paper with cooking spray and lay sprayed side down over top of cake.
- Loosely roll paper-topped cake up in towel. Cool on cooling rack 35-45 minutes or until nearly cooled.
- In medium bowl, beat mascarpone and powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. On low speed mix in ¾ cup whipping cream and almond extract. Beat on medium-high speed until thick and creamy and good spreading consistency. Fold in almonds and cherries.
- Carefully unroll cake and remove paper. Spread filling over cake; carefully roll up and place on platter, seam side down. Tuck strips of waxed paper under edges of cake to protect platter while frosting.
- To make the ganache: Place chocolate chips in medium bowl. In small saucepan, heat ⅓ cup whipping cream over medium heat just until hot and bubbles start to form around edges. Pour over chocolate chips and let stand 3 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in corn syrup and cool until mixture mounds slightly when stirred.
- Spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate 20 minutes to slightly set ganache. Slice to serve.