Chocolate Chip Madeleines
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat just until it starts to turn a light golden brown color, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool until almost at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until well blended. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together the eggs and granulated sugar until the mixture forms a thick ribbon when the beaters are lifted, about 8 to 10 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture in two stages. Follow by folding in the melted butter in two stages, and then fold in the chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, until it becomes slightly firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour two 12-mold madeleine pans.
- Drop a heaping tablespoonful of the batter into each prepared mold; do not flatten or smooth the centers.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges have browned slightly and the centers spring back when touched with a finger. Remove from the oven and tap each mold with a knife to free the madeleines. Place on a rack to cool completely.
- To serve, dust with confectioners’ sugar.