Chocolate Chip Meringue
For a lower sugar content, use 1⁄2 cup sugar and 1⁄4 cup Splenda. This cuts some of the sugar and calories from this splendid dessert.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1⁄4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet mini-morsels
- Leave egg whites at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. As the egg whites are being whipped, add vanilla and cream of tartar. When egg whites become fluffy and peaked, slowly add sugar and cocoa powder. Continue beating until very stiff. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet (lined with wax paper) or use a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Turn oven off, and let meringues cool in the oven for another hour.