Chocolate Chipotle Ice Cream
Chocolate ice cream on its own is ever so satisfying. But when you pair it with the slow smoky heat of chipotle, you have a tantalizing treat you will dream about later.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, chopped into ¼" pieces
- ½ tsp. chipotle chili powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate, chipotle powder, sugar, salt, and cocoa powder. Stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat; cover.
- Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to the saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Pour heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream, stirring until cooled. Add vanilla extract, stir, and place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.