Chocolate Chocolate Giants
Serves: 14Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. instant coffee powder
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate over simmering water, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together the sugar and eggs until pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Stir in the melted chocolate, melted butter, vanilla, and coffee powder. Set aside. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Drop the batter by 1⁄4 cupfuls onto the prepared sheets. Press with moist fingertips to form 4-inch rounds.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until the tops start to crack. Let cool completely on a rack. Store in an airtight container.