Try adding toasted almonds to the cake for a popular candy-bar taste!
Serves: 14Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 Tbsp. coconut cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, coconut extract, vinegar, and water until smooth. Gently stir wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring until there are no large lumps. Fold in 3⁄4 cup sweetened shredded coconut. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until 3⁄4 full.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes.
- To make the frosting, add cream the cream cheese and margarine to a large bowl. Mix on medium speed until smooth. Blend in coconut cream and vanilla extract. Gradually add powdered sugar, continuing to beat at medium speed until smooth. Stir in 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, frost and sprinkle with remaining 1⁄4 cup coconut. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.