Chocolate Coffee Sprinkle Cake
What’s better than chocolate and coffee? Chocolate, coffee and sprinkles! Make this cake for your next get-together and add a burst of color to the festivities.
Serves: 16Prep: 50 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups Kroger Brand Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups Kroger Brand Unbleached All-Purpose Enriched Flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso ground coffee
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup black coffee
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon plus 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups rainbow nonpareils sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line three 8” cake pans with parchment paper; lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and espresso powder. On low speed, add one egg at a time. Slowly incorporate buttermilk, coffee, vegetable oil and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract until combined.
- In prepared pans, evenly divide batter; bake 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on cooling rack.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese. Slowly add powdered sugar; mix until fluffy. Mix in ½ tablespoon vanilla extract and milk until combined.
- On 8” cake board, place one cooled cake; cover with generous amount of frosting. Place second cake top side down onto frosted layer; spread generous amount of frosting on second layer. Place third cake top side down onto frosted layer; frost entire outside of cake with thin layer of frosting.
- In rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, pour sprinkles in an even layer. Place an 8” cake board on top of cake; with firm grip on boards, carefully roll cake in sprinkles.
- Place an inverted bowl on baking sheet; set cake on bowl. Remove top cake board and spread a thin layer of frosting. Cover top of cake with sprinkles. Fill in bare areas with sprinkles.