Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
These moist, chocolaty cookies taste like chocolate-covered cherries. To give them a little more panache, melt 1 cup of white chocolate chips and drizzle over the cookies after everything else is done.
Makes: 18Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 jar (10 oz.) maraschino cherries, drained, with juice reserved
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until creamy.
- Stir in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa. Roll in 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Make an indentation with your thumb in middle of cookies.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips with condensed milk and one tablespoon reserved cherry juice. Cool slightly. Place 1 teaspoon of chocolate mixture in indentation of cookies. Press 1 cherry into chocolate. Cover cherries with 1 teaspoon more chocolate.
- Bake 10 minutes. Cool.