Chocolate Covered Coconut Balls
Chocolate and coconut are the stars of these candies. Make a chewy coconut filling, form it into balls, dip into melted chocolate, and chill. Using disposable plastic gloves will make forming the coconut centers easier and keep your hands clean. These make a great gift!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cream of coconut
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Finely chop 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl, combine cream of coconut, vanilla, and butter and mix thoroughly. Add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Using your hands, work in the flaked coconut and the 1⁄2 cup of chopped chocolate chips with hands. Form mixture into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, heat 2 cups chocolate chips with a microwave at 50 percent power for 2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds. Stir chips until almost melted, then return to microwave. Heat at 50 percent power for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and add remaining 1⁄2 cup chips. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Using a long, metal or bamboo skewer, pick up each coconut ball and dip into chocolate mixture. Drip off excess chocolate while rotating the skewer, and place back onto baking sheet.
- Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Store at room temperature.