Chocolate Cream Pie
The filling for this pie is a rich chocolate custard topped with sweetened whipped cream. For more chocolate, brush the bottom of the pie crust with melted milk, dark, or semisweet chocolate before filling, and top the whipped cream with grated chocolate of your choice.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 chocolate cookie pie crust (9")
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Heat 3 cups of the cream, chocolate chips, cornstarch, and ⅓ cup sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat to a simmer.
- Temper egg yolks with ½ cup of the heated cream mixture; then add yolks to cream mixture and cook, whisking, until mixture thickens. Strain filling into prebaked pie crust. Chill 2 hours.
- Whip remaining cream with remaining sugar to stiff peaks; spoon onto the chilled pie filling.