Chocolate Crème Brûlée
Slow cook chocolate custard in ovenproof ramekins in a slow cooker and then finish them off under the broiler.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 1⁄2 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- Pour 1 inch of water into the bottom of an oval 4 to 5-quart slow cooker. Heat on high for 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the evaporated milk, cocoa, vanilla, egg yolks, and granulated sugar until the sugar dissolves. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Divide it among four (6-ounce) broiler-safe ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in the hot water. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or until the custard is set.
- Sprinkle each crème brûlée with 1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar. Place them under the broiler and broil until the sugar caramelizes.