Makes: 24 cookiesHands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 24 cookies
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light. Beat in the eggs, and then the chocolate. In another bowl, sift together the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture alternately with the milk. Fold in the nuts. Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- Form dough into 1" balls. Roll in the confectioners’ sugar to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing 2" to 3" apart.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until firm on top. Let cool slightly on the pan, then remove to racks to cool completely.