Chocolate-Dipped Profiteroles with Peppermint Stick Ice Cream
Vanilla ice cream is mixed with crushed peppermint candies to fill these homemade profiteroles. The end result is an ahh-worthy dessert!
Serves: 8Prep: 4 hours 30 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 5 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 quart Private Selection™ Double Vanilla Ice Cream, slightly softened
- 26 Starlight Mints Peppermint Candies, crushed, plus more for garnish
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½” pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Private Selection™ Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Place softened ice cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle. Stir in crushed peppermints and peppermint extract. Transfer to a bowl, cover and freeze for at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Combine water, butter, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until the butter is melted. Add flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer dough to a food processor or stand mixer and beat eggs in 1 at a time. Using a rubber spatula, put the dough into a piping bag fitted with a ½” round tip. Pipe sixteen ½” mounds of dough onto sheet pan, spacing them 2” apart. Dampen finger in water and gently pat down the top of each profiterole. Brush egg wash over each one and place in oven.
- Bake profiteroles for 20 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Use a skewer to pierce the side of each pastry and allow steam to escape. Bake 5 minutes longer; transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Profiteroles and the ice cream can be made up to a week ahead of time. Place profiteroles in a resealable freezer bag and freeze if storing. Thaw before assembling them.
- Cut profiteroles in half, crosswise, and place 1 scoop of ice cream into the bottom. Dip the top in the warm ganache and place on ice cream. Garnish with crushed peppermint candy. Repeat for the remaining profiteroles. Serve immediately or freeze until service.
- Bring cream to a simmer in a medium size saucepan. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Let stand until the chocolate softens, about 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth.